Kerala Administrative Service (KAS) Online Class on Arya Samaj by Swami Dayananda Saraswathi, Theosophical Society by Madame Blavatsky and Colonel Olcott in 1875. Important Leaders and contribution.
Socio Religious Reform Movements Part II.
The Arya Samaj – 1875 : Swami Dayananda Saraswathi started the Arya Samaj in 1875.
Theosophical Society – 1875 : The society was first established by Madame Blavatsky and Colonel H.S. Olcott in the United States of America.
Download Study Notes PDF
Next Page : Questions and Answers
Questions and Answers
- 1. Arya Samaj was founded by
- A) Swami Dayananda Saraswati
B) Keshab Chandra Sen
C) Pandit Karuppan
D) EV Ramasami Naicker
- 2. Arya Samaj was founded in the year
- A) 1826
- 3. Identify the incorrect statement related to Swami Dayananda Saraswati
- A) His childhood name was Mul Shankar.
B) He propagated the motto “go back to gita”.
C) Dayananda Saraswathi started Suddhi movement to reconvert the Hindus who had been converted to other religions earlier.
D) He opposed child marriage, polygamy, purdah system, practice of sati etc.
- 4. Who is described as the Martin Luther of Hinduism?
- A) Swami Vivekananda
B) Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
C) Swami Dayanand Saraswati
D) Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- 5. Theosophical society was founded by
- A) Madam Blavatski
B) Annie Besant
C) Colnel Olcott
D) Both A & C
- 6. Consider the following statements
- i) Insisted the education of women and depressed class.
ii) Encouraged inter caste marriages.
iii) Established educational institutions like Kanya Gurukulas and DAV schools.
Which are correct regarding the activities of Arya samaj?
A) i only
B) i and ii
C) I and iii
D) i, ii and iii
- 7. Consider the following statements
- i) Lala Lajpat Rai, Lala Hansraj and Pandit Guru Dutt were the followwers of Dayananda Saraswati
ii) Theosophical society was formed with the aim of organization based on fraternity and to study ancient religion and philosophy.
iii) Central Hindu college was founded by Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
iv) Home rule movement was started in 1916.
Which of the above statements are correct?
A) i, ii and iii
B) i, iii and iv
C) i, ii and iv
D) i, ii, iii and iv
- 8. Match list 1 with the most appropriate in list 2
- i) Suddhi movement 1. Annie Besant
ii) New India 2. Dayananda Saraswati
iii) Home rule movement 3.Bal Gangadhar Tilak
iv) Theosophical society 4. Colnel Olcott
A) i-4 ii-3 iii-1 iv-2
B) i-1 ii-2 iii-3 iv-4
C) i-2 ii-3 iii-1 iv-4
D) i-2 ii-1 iii-3 iv-4
- 9. Which of the following is correctly matched?
- i) New India – to spread theosophical ideas
ii) Home rule movement – to support national movement
iii) Theosophical society - To find out the laws of Nature and development of divine powers in man
A) ii and iii
B) I and iii
C) none of he above
D) i, ii and iii