Earlier it was believed that Earth was flat and that ships could sail over the edge. Pythagoras believed that the Earth was a sphere.
Size and shape of EarthEarlier it was believed that Earth was flat and that ships could sail over the edge. Pythagoras
believed that the Earth was a sphere. Eratosthenes estimated size of earth from observations –
calculated the perimeter. Ferdinand Magellan (1480-1521 AD) set out from Spain in 1519 with a
fleet of five ships and his expedition proved that the globe could be circled by sea.
Download Study Notes PDF
Next : Questions and Answers
- 1. Who was the first person to calculate the perimeter of the Earth?
- A) Eratosthenis
- 2. Consider the following statements
- i) The shape of the Earth is oblate spheroid.
ii) The bulge at the equator of the earth is caused by the centrifugal forces of rotation.
iii) Gravitational force of the earth is weakest at the poles
Which of the following are correct?
A) ii and iii
B) I and ii
C) i, and iii
D) i, ii and iii
- 3. Identify the incorrect statement
- i) Rotation – Movement of earth on its axis
ii) Revolution – Movement of earth in its orbit around the sun
A) i only
B) ii only
- 4. The circle on the globe that divides day from night is called
- A) Equator
B) Tropic of Cancer
C) Tropic of Capricorn
D) Circle of illumination
- 5. Which of the following is not caused due to the rotation of the earth
- A) Ocean tides
C) Difference in time at different places
D) Deflection of winds
- 6. Perihelion is
- A) The point on the orbit when the earth is closest to the sun.
B) Point on the orbit when the earth is farthest from the sun.
C) Outer surface of the sun.
D) The point on the orbit where the earth completes its revolution around the sun
- 7. Variation in the length of days and nights are due to
- A) Centrifugal force of rotation
- 8. Consider the following statements
- i) The speed of revolution of earth is 1,10,000 kmph.
ii) The variation in the distribution of solar energy over the earth is caused due to revolution.
iii) The earth rotates from west to east.
iv) The axis of the earth makes an angle of 66.5 degree with its orbital plane.
Which of the statements are correct?
A) i, ii and iii
B) ii, iii and iv
C) i, iii and iv
D) i, ii, iii and iv