Mount Batten Plan 1947 KAS UPSC Study Notes
Mount Batten Plan, 1947
- Lord Mountbatten became India’s Viceroy on 24 March 1947.
- India had to be divided into two independent countries namely the Indian Union and the Pakistan Union
- The Radcliff Boundary Commission drew the boundary line separating India and Pakistan.
- The Princely States were given the option to join either of the two new nations or to remain independent.
- Both the Congress and the Muslim League accepted this plan.
- The British Government passed the Indian Independence Act in July 1947 on the basis of this plan.
- India became free on 15 August 1947.
- Lord Mount Batten became the first Governor-General of free India
- C. Rajagopalachariar became the first and last Indian Governor-General of India.
- India became a Republic on 26 January 1950
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad became the first President of our country.