The Cabinet Mission Interim Government 1946 KAS UPSC Study Notes
After World War II
- The Second World War came to an end in 1945.
- The Labour Party came to power in England.
- Clement Atlee became the Prime Minister of England.
- He withdrew all the prohibitory orders imposed on the Congress by the British.
- Attlee deputed a mission to find a solution for India’s problems - Cabinet Mission
- This mission recommended India’s independence.
The Cabinet Mission, 1946
- In March 1946, the three member Commission - Pethick Lawrence, A.V. Alexander, Sir Straford Cripps visited India.
- Members of the British Cabinet - called Cabinet Mission.
- They recommended the formation of provinces based on the majority of Hindus and Muslims.
- The Committee also recommended Federal Government.
- The British decided to solve the problems of India by setting up an Interim Government and Constituent Assembly
Interim Government, 1946
- Elections were held in July 1946 for the formation of a Constituent Assembly.
- The Congress secured 205 out of 214 General seats.
- The Muslim League got 73 out of 78 Muslim seats.
- An Interim Government was formed under the leadership of Jawaharlal Nehru on 2 September 1946.
- Nehru sought the help from Jinnah - refused to Cooperate with Nehru.
- He became adamant in his demand of Pakistan. Hence partition of India became inevitable.