Economy and Planning1) Indian economy on the eve of independence. Indian economy in post reform period – new economic reforms, NITI Aayog, National Income and Per Capita Income, Sectoral Composition (Output and Employment) – Primary, Secondary and Tertiary. Development under different policy regimes (including Five Year Plans) – Goals, Constraints, Institutions and Policy framework.
2) Agriculture Sector, Land Reforms in India, Technological change in Agriculture – Major Crops and Cropping patterns in various parts of the Country, Irrigation, Pricing of agriculture inputs and outputs, Agricultural Finance Policy and Marketing, Issues in Food Security and Public Distribution System, Green Revolution, Policies for sustainable agriculture and organic farming.
3) Industrial Policy, Public Sector enterprises and their performance, Growth and pattern of industrialization, Small-scale sector, Productivity in industrial sector, SEZ and industrialization, foreign investment and competition policy, e-Commerce, Effects of liberalisation on the economy.
4) Infrastructure in Indian Economy, Meaning and importance of insfrastructure – Water Supply and Sanitation- Energy and Power – Science and Technology – Rural and Urban Insfrastructure, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, Telecommunication, Dams, Inland Waterways. Social Impact Assessment.
5) Trends and Patterns in structure of population over time – Growth rate, Gender Rural-Urban Migration, Literacy, Regional Structure and trends of Poverty and Inequality, Unemployment – trends, Structure and National Rural Employment policies. Indicators of development – Physical Quality of Life Index,Human Development Index, Human Poverty Index, Gender Development Index, National Happiness Index.
6) Indian Public Finance, Government Budgeting, Indian Tax System, Public Expenditure, Public Debt, Deficit and Subsidies in the Indian Economy. Centre-State financial relation. Recent fiscal and monetary policy issues and their impact, structure of Indian Banking and NonBanking Financial Institutions and reforms, GST: Concept and Implications. Stock exchange and share market.
7) Trend, Composition, Structure and direction of India's Foreign Trade. India's Balance of payments situation in post reforms period.
8) Economy of Kerala State-an overview, Population, Major agriculture, Industry, Service sector issues. Insfrastructure and resources, Major Developmental Projects, Programmes and Schemes. Co-opeartive Sector. History and relevant policies in traditional industies, IT Sector, Pravasi and Foreign remittance.
9) Kerala model development – (Land reforms, Social security, devolution of Power, Decentralised Planning, Housing, Tourism, Women Empowerment, Social Welfare Schemes, Disaster Management. Role and Function of Kerala Planning Board, Achievements of Kerala in Health and Education Sector: Policies, Programmes, Initiatives and Impacts.
Class 1 Economy in the eve of Independence Notes
Class 2 Introduction to Five Year Plans Notes
Class 3 Land Reforms and Green Revolution Notes
Class 4 Industry and Trade Notes
Class 5 Detailed Analysis of 5 year plan Notes